How to Be Proper
Basic Etiquette for a Gentlemen Greeting a Lady Aquaintance
- Wait for her acknowledging bow before tipping your hat.
- Use the hand farthest from her to raise the hat.
- Walk with her if she expresses a wish to converse; Never make a lady stand talking in the street.
- When walking, the lady must always have the wall.
Recourse for a Lady Toward Unpleasant Men Who Persist in Bowing
- A simple stare of iciness should suffice in most instances.
- A cold bow discourages familiarity without offering insult.
- As a last resort: "Sir, I have not the honour of your aquaintance."
Proper Address of Royalty
- Your Majesty
- To the king or queen
- Your Royal Highness
- To the monarch's spouse, children, and siblings.
- Your Highness
- To nephews, nieces, and cousins of the sovereign.